måndag 13 maj 2013

The Great Gatsby 2000

Continuing my quest to watch everything Toby Stephens has ever been in, I've just finished watching The Great Gatsby (2000). I read the novel about two months ago and have been unable to find the movie for download, but you can stream it on youtube in surprisingly good quality.


Everyone seems to praise the 1974 version with Robert Redford, but I think this version was a very close adaptation of the book, and Toby Stephens as Jay Gatsby is to die for! He was made for the part!

Toby Stephens as Jay Gatsby
"Hello, old sport"

Mira Sorvino plays Gatsby's old sweetheart Daisy, and I must admit I think she does a good job, I was surprised that she was that good an actress. She's always seemed kind of tough to me, but here she plays dainty little Daisy very convincingly. 

Mira Sorvino as Daisy

What really surprised me though, was that Paul Rudd was cast as Nick Carraway, the narrator of the book (and movie) and everything is seen through his eyes. I've only ever seen him as this dorky, dopey guy, so it was both surprising and refreshing to see him as a more sober character.


This movie has great actors and costume and it follows the book perfectly. The only thing I could have wished for was that the glitz and glam of Gatsby's parties were not as extravagant as they are described in the book. There were a lot of daytime party scenes that should be in the night. And also the score, the sort of film noir, old detectives-story music wasn't really appropriate if you ask me. I'dve gone for more violins than trumpets.

But Toby was brilliant in it though. It's amazing how he can project the full range of his emotional state in just a couple of glances. And he was as young and gorgeous as ever in this movie. To think I was only 16 back then...

a man in love




In one scene Gatsby (Toby) says "In her heart she never loved anyone except me." And I was thinking "How could anyone ever love anyone except you?" Hahahah, I'm such a sucker for Toby.
HIS VOICE is just amazing, it sends all kinds of chills through my body. Of the good sort, hehe. I love his normal voice when he speaks with a british accent, but with an american accent his voice just turns so incredibly smooth and sexy. And when he says "old sport" it's not annoying at all, it's so endearing.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar