lördag 24 november 2012

Jane Eyre

So for the past month I have been reading this classic novel Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. Though it was hard to go from the modern american slang of Chuck Palahniuk to over 150 year old English prose, I enjoyed it thoroughly. There were many old words that were new to me, and I sat there every day with my fatass copy of McMillian's English Dictionary for advanced learners, but found I needed it less than I first thought I would.



When I bought the book, about a year ago, I bought it because it was on sale and it was a classic. I love to buy books (and even more to read them when they are good) but buying this one I had no idea that it would become my absolute favorite book of all time! As soon as Jane came to Thornfield and happened upon Mr. Rochester in that unusual manner I could not put the book down. Every day I would long to read their dialogues and everyday I would long for evenings to come, when I could read undisturbed and fully immerse myself into 19:th century England. I cried a total of 5 times during the book!! Wich is the most I've cried over a book, ever. 

I have also the habit of getting a bit obsessed with the things I like, so though I do not usually download movies, I did download this movie, the Jane Eyre movie from 2011, as I had heard it was really good, everywhere they said that it was one of the best Jane Eyre movies of all time. And yesterday I watched it!


Michael Fassbender is absolutely beautiful as Mr. Rochester, he truly brought the character to life for me and  I think I fell a little more in love with Mr. Rochester than I already had. ^_^
Mia Wasikowska is not too pretty, wich I find perfect for Jane's character as she is often described as plain, and she is a great actress as well. I think she played Jane to perfection.
What disapponted me however were mainly three things: (warning spoilers!):

* One never found out that St John and his sisters were actually Jane's real cousins.
* The dialogues were cut short and some dialogues wich I thought were the funniest and the best of the book were not in the movie at all.
* And finally, the ending was so abrupt. Yes she did say: "Edward, I've come back to you", wich for the viewer makes it clear she did end up with him after all. But I would like to have seen her cheer him up as she did at the end of the novel, and make him jealous over St John. Then the second proposal. It could have ended with her narrative, her saying that she is married to her perfect mate. "I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on Earth..."...we are precisely suited in character, perfect concord is the result"


All in all I thought it was a very beautiful movie, the music enhanced the feelings of the movie perfectly and I am overall very happy with this version. I think these actors are absolutely amazing!! 


Ah, true love!


"I am no bird, and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will.."
-Jane Eyre

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar